Welcome to the California Horse Racing Board’s Racing Safety Program.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU, THE HORSE RACING PROFESSIONAL?
- We want your involvement in helping us develop methods that will ultimately result in longer, more productive careers for your horses, safer conditions for the riders and a positive public image for horse racing.
- Injuries, breakdowns and associated medical treatment contribute significantly to the cost of doing business. Millions of dollars are lost every year through forced retirements and fatalities.
- The CHRB’s Racing Injury Prevention research program is a collaborative effort with the University of California at Davis. We are developing learning modules that explain how to identify and heal pre-existing injuries that often lead to catastrophic breakdowns.
- Track Safety Standards are currently being developed to aid in the production of safe racing surfaces.
- Research is being conducted to determine the cause and prevention of horse racing accidents, the effects of drug substances on race horses and the means for detection of foreign substances.
- CHRB shall establish safety standards to improve the safety of horses, riders and workers at the racetrack. Business and Professions Code section 19481 (a).
- Equine necropsies are performed to determine the cause of death on every horse which dies within our jurisdiction. CHRB Rule 1846.5 (a).
- The Stewards shall investigate and prepare a report with respect to all on-track accidents. The report shall include the likely causes of each accident. Business and Professions Code section 19481.3 (e).